Thanksgiving in a Lump of Meat

Well, I am sure  you saw the Turkey Stuffing Meatloaves on my Meal Plan for this week and I did make it, just on a Tuesday instead! Now at first I was a little skep because it came from Rachael Ray who is not necessarily my fave but I have to tell you, this was YUM-O (eww I cannot believe I just typed that). B said that this was the best meatloaf I have ever made! It totally gave you that feeling of Thanksgiving and it only took about 90 minutes from start to finish. Granted, we ate a little late and maybe hunger set in by the time we spiked the loaf with our forks! It was good for lunch the next day too since it makes 4 loaves which are enormous, you could very easily make this into 6 mini loafs without a problem.

The complete recipe is below with the tweaks I made, because I cannot leave any recipe untouched! Tangent Alert! - Other than baking because I am still a little nervous nellie when it comes to baked goods in the over a Mile High town! I hope you all enjoy this as the fall weather has officially set up shop in our fair city and I hope it does for you too!



Turkey Stuffing Meatloaves and Mashed Potatoes with Herbs
Courtesy of  Rachael Ray - Week in a Day
Serves 4 - I say you can make 6 out of this recipe

Meatloaves
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 2 McIntosh apples, cored and chopped - I used Granny Smith Apples because they were on sale and my total fave
  • 3 to 4 small ribs celery, chopped - I only had about one in the house and totally not a big deal
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 bay leaf
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 cup stuffing cubes (recommended: Pepperidge Farm) or stale cubed white bread - I used a box of Stove Top Sage Stuffing and it was awesome
  • 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
  • 4 cups chicken or turkey stock in a box - I just used 3/4 a can of chicken stock because we ate it the night of
  • 2 pounds ground turkey - Only had 1.25 lbs in a package of turkey and I cannot imagine more!
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley - B hates parsley so I omitted it
  • ADDED - pinch of Ground Chipotle
  • ADDED - pinch of All Spice
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil, plus more for drizzling
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour - This is for the gravy and I just used Brown Gravy Powder instead - I know I am lazy!
Mashed Potatoes - I made my own but this sounds amazing!
  • 2 pounds starchy potatoes, peeled
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 1 (5-ounce) package soft herb cheese (recommended: Boursin) -  Boursin is usually pretty pricy so I would just add herbs to cream cheese as a cheaper option or maybe try those new Cooking Cremes...
  • 1/4 cup chopped mixed fresh herbs (recommended: chives, dill, thyme
Directions


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Heat the butter to melt in a medium skillet over medium heat. Saute the apples, celery, and onions seasoned with a bay leaf, salt, and pepper, until very tender, 10 minutes. Add the stuffing cubes and moisten with 1 to 1/1 2 cups of stock; season with poultry seasoning. Cool completely, then combine in a bowl with ground turkey, salt, pepper, half the parsley, and egg. Form 4 oval-shaped loaves a couple of inches thick. Arrange on a rack over baking sheet or parchment-lined baking sheet and coat with a little oil to glisten. Roast until brown and firm, 45 minutes, depending on thickness.

Reheat the meatloaves in medium hot oven to warm through. Place them in a shallow baking dish and cover with foil. Cook's Note: To keep the loaves from drying out - add a splash of stock, this will keep the loaves super moist.

In a saucepan, whisk the oil and 1/4 cup flour over medium heat 10 to 15 minutes, until the color of peanut-butter. Add lots of coarse pepper to the roux, then whisk in a couple of cups of stock and thicken, season with salt to taste. Cool completely and store in the refrigerator. Reheat the mixture in a saucepan over medium flame.

While the meatloaves bake, boil the potatoes in enough water to cover. Drain, then return the potatoes to the hot pot and mash with milk, herb cheese, mixed herbs, remaining parsley, salt and pepper. Cool completely and store in the refrigerator.

Reheat the potatoes in a saucepan over medium-low heat, adding a little more milk as the potatoes warm to loosen them up a bit.

Serve the meatloaves, whole or sliced, with mashed potatoes and gravy.




Comments

Popular Posts