I'm SPI-CY!

This is the dish that brought B and me back into the pork loving goodness! It is originally a Pioneer Woman recipe that I made some updates to - made it Spi-CY! I am making a reference to my much loved Burger King commercial of yore - click for Spicy-goodness.

I use this shredded pork for everything starting usually with some amazing tacos and going into pizza, nachos, sandwiches, enchiladas, taquitos, and anything else I am feeling that moment. This usually makes a large batch, enough for three separate dinners with leftovers each. Let your imagination go with this incredible porkness, you cannot go wrong, I even served this at Christmas Eve! No one was disappointed...

Spicy Shredded Pork

Inspired by: Pioneer Woman
Serves 8

4 pounds (up To 7 Pounds) Pork Shoulder (I usually shoot for 5 lbs.)
1 Tablespoon Greek Seasoning
1 Tablespoon Ground Cumin
2 Tablespoons Chili Powder
2 Tablespoons Taco Seasoning
1 Tablespoon Cayenne
1 Tablespoon Chipotle Peppers
1 Tablespoon Paprika
1 teaspoon All-Spice
2 Tablespoons Salt
1 Tablespoon Hot Sauce (I lurve Cholula)
Pepper To Taste
4 Cloves Garlic
2 Tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
1/4 cup Brown Sugar
1 whole Onion quartered and root removed
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil


I know it looks like a lot of stuff but it is TOTALLY worth it and it all just gets blended for flavor packed marinade!

  1. Rinse and pat dry the pork shoulder. Place in a large dutch oven or other roasting pan with a tight-fitting lid
  2. To make the marinade, add all the ingredients listed except the olive oil into a food processor or blender. Start blending and slowly add the olive oil until totally combined. It should look like this. 
  3. Pour over the shoulder and rub it into the meat, tucking it under folds an in crevices. Give that porker a massage he won't forget! Add a couple of cups of water.
  4. Cover tightly and roast pork at 300º for several hours, turning once every hour. This is the perfect recipe to use your low-and-slow tool, this makes cheaper cuts of meat tender and flavorful. These types of recipes make me tear up a little for vegetarians and the like. 
  5. When the porker is starting to fall apart when you try to turn it over, turn up the heat to 400, remove the lid, and roast it, for another 15 to 20 minutes to get those amazing flavor packed crispy edges. When it’s done, let it rest for 15 minutes before shredding. 
  6. Shred the pork shoulder I usually use a big fork and my tongs. When it’s all shredded be sure to pour the juices all over the meat. My juice is going to be thick and more like a paste and you can sneak a little taste while shredding, that is B's favorite part!
  7. Use that amazing porker gold for anything you fancy!

Comments

Popular Posts