Food Savings without Coupons

I am all for saving dough with coupons but reality is all those extreme couponers have changed the atmosphere for savings. It is harder to get coupons that we actually use and in our area, the markets only take 3 coupons for the same item. This does not allow you to really take advantage of fantastic prices. Also, many coupons are over a $1 for savings on multiple items yet our markets do not double over $1 so it is not a huge impact overall. When you watch those shows with those crazy ladies (and some men) it really is not a realistic view of what can occur in more populous areas.

I have relied on local market savings to really make up for coupon set backs and this is the time of year to stock up. There are specific time periods to grab items that will last you throughout the year. During the Summer months, you can get condiments and meat products for a steal. This time of year is the best time for vegetables, soups, stock, poultry, and some convenience side dishes. I went shopping today because there were some awesome deals right now and I know that I needed to stock up on stuff for prepping meals for when little miss arrives. Plus it is always good to have stuff for the holidays. Below is my haul!

This would have cost $190 before I used my loyalty card. I spent $81.68 total for a savings of 57%. This is a huge benefit for our family because these are items we would have purchased but we got them for bottom price! Also, realize that you will spend more money up front but you will see those savings in your week to week bills. Here is the breakdown of what I got..
 I picked up 5 bags of steam in the bag veggies, great for throwing on the plate for some color and nutrition. I never get the kind that has a sauce or seasoning, I find those to be overly salty or taste artificial. If you really want some cheese with your broccoli, steam the veggies and then throw some cheese over the top and broil for a couple of minutes. No processed weirdness and you get the bonus of crispy cheese, which is the best!
 I snagged a good number of frozen meals, a total of 17. These ranged between $1.27 and $1.99 which is a great price since they are usually in the range of $2.50-$3.00. I found a coupon on one of the meals for $2.00 off ten, always look for those freebies! These are great for B to take to work and I also got some breakfast options for something quick to eat in the morning.
 I got 4 packages of pasta for only $0.69 each. I usually grab a few when they are on sale for a $1.00 each so this is great for those quick dinners.
 I don't know why this picture is the wrong way but I got 4 rice mixes, 6 stuffing mixes, 6 condensed soups, and 2 cranberry sauces. These will all be used for the holidays and for quick sides. Those condensed soups will also be needed for casseroles I am prepping in December.

I also grabbed a couple bags of marshmallows for autumn s'mores. Plus the largest deal was the canned corn and chicken stock. Those items are pantry staples in our house and they were only $0.49 each which is a huge savings. I ended up getting 24 cans of each. These are the kinds of things that will not go bad for years but you are always reaching for.

I hope that helped and I encourage everyone to keep an eye on their market ads and know what is a good deal so you know when to strike!

Comments

Popular Posts