Taco Time!

Tacos are one of my favorite things to make, they are the perfect vessel for experimental flavors and general yumminess. The best thing about tacos is that everyone gets what they want and like without making a ton of different things. My favorite toppings to make is grilled onions and peppers, corn, sour cream, cilantro, green onions, cheese, avocado, and mashed black beans. The easiest way to soften tortillas is to place a barely damp paper towel on a place, top with 3-4 tortillas, and another damp paper towel, 1 minute in the microwave and voila, perfectly steamed tortillas for your taco enjoyment. This was our recent taco night!

Last week I was supposed to make Beer-Braised Turkey Tacos but since our hike to Seven Falls took a lot longer, we nixed it for Subway sandwiches. I still wanted those tacos so I did some research and found that I could slow cooker my turkey legs for 10-12 hours which is perfect because I am away at work for about that amount of time. So I totally faked my long braising process in the recipe for something easy, quick, and super yummy. I added a cinnamon stick to the broth and that was definitely NOT B's favorite - mental note to not do that if you are not into cinnamon flavored meats.



Slow-Cooked Beer Turkey Leg Tacos
Serves 4 (2 tacos each)

2 turkey legs - I get mine at Sprouts for usually between $2-$3
1 can beer of choice
2 Tbsp canola oil - cheaper than olive!
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp Chile powder
1/2 tsp Chipotle powder
1 tsp Cumin
1/4 tsp All-Spice
Pinch of Salt and Pepper

Optional: 2 Bay Leaves and a Cinnamon stick

  1. Pour half the can of beer into the slow-cooker. Mix the oil and remaining ingredients and brush over the turkey legs on all sides well
  2. Place the legs in the slow-cooker with the meat pointing down. I had to alternate which way they faced to fit but I have a pretty small cooker.
  3. Pour remaining beer on the sides of the turkey and the remaining oil mixture over the turkey. Throw in the option items if you so choose.
  4. Place lid on slow-cooker and set to low. Cook for 10-12 hours
  5. Enter your house to it smelling divine and work out while smelling that and getting more hungry by the minue
  6. Pull out the turkey and it should literally fall off the bone! Make sure to get the smaller bone out too along with any nasty fatty areas
  7. Chop coarsely and include with your favorite taco toppings. Enjoy!



Comments

Popular Posts