The Classic Green Comfort

I am talking about the famous Split Pea Soup that everyone loves! We call this the Snow Pea Soup because my fab sister-in-law gave me this recipe that B absolutely loves and compares all Pea Soups to.

Mentioning A - look at another adorable dish she has just taken out of the oven! Meet my new niece - I am an Auntie for the 7th time! B and I always joke that we are falling behind with those numbers!


Back to the food - Below is the recipe I am adding some notes that I want to try the next time I make this delish dish. Enjoy this awesome soup soon or when the weather warrants a little extra comfort...

Snow Pea Soup
Serves 6

18 oz Split Green Peas
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 large carrot, finely chopped
1 celery stalk, finely chopped
4 cups Chicken or Vegetable Stock
4 cups Water
8 oz Ham Steaks - I just got two 6oz packages from Tar-jay and it was perfect
1/4 teaspoon dried Thyme
1/4 teaspoon Marjoram
1 Bay Leaf
Salt and Pepper to season

Add water and stock to large pot. Rise peas and add to pot, boil for 3 minutes, skim any foam at is at the top.

In another skillet, heat oil and add onion until translucent. Add the carrot and celery to saute until tender. Add to pot with peas and stock. Bring to a boil and add ham and seasonsings. 

Simmer for 60-90 minutes until peas are tender. Serve!

Next time - I want to saute the ham until it gets those yummy crispy bits and then add it at the same stage as the original recipe. The only other change is serve it with Parmesan Cheese on top, it totally takes it over the edge!

Comments

Popular Posts