Bust Out the Porcelain Bunnies!

Porcelain Bunnies have been a long running joke in my parent's home - Both of my parents are quite talented artists and have a very modern sense of what art is, cutting edge, deeper meaning, minimalist with a large impact. I will have to have a house tour of their abode here one day, every wall has some striking piece place on it. (hint, hint Dad, take some awesome pics!)

Anyway, back to the joke, so we had a group of friends growing up and they were the complete opposite of my family's aesthetic - floral drapes, white washed oak furniture, and of course the famous porcelain bunnies. They were everywhere and it seemed that the porcelain variety of bunnies had acquired the same reproductive attendances as their flesh and fur buddies had...My father always joked about their country look and referred to the look often as "Arts and Crafties for the Local Yokels". Must I remind you that this look was very current in the late 80s and early 90s and my parents were quite the outsiders with their track lighting and large installations - we were the avant-garde peeps in the hood of Orange County. Holla!

Well it seems that as much as I appreciate their minimalist and modern tastes, for my own home, I have gone in a little different path. My dad calls our house country and I call it updated traditional, to each their own. As I get older, oh my God, is that another gray hair poking out?!, I appreciate the crafty goodness I see all over the blogisphere (I cannot believe that is an accepted term now) and i have officially fallen in love with the idea of a Craft Weekend. I saw this amazing venture on Meg's site and I totally want to be on the next weekend waiting list.

I mean how fun does it sound to hang out with ladies, sew, laugh, eat lots of those cinnamon rolls, and just relax in Kansas of all places! I mean seriously ironing looks pretty fun - and if you say that ironing makes you a cool kind, we may need to have a little chatty poo...

Plus time for some antique and "well-loved" items were it looks like I might actually find something at a good price

Tangent ALERT - I am very disappointed in the quality of the antiques here and around Denver, they are just sparce, boring, and generally overpriced...




What do you think about crafts and weekends of ladies joining together to do all this local yokel things?
  
All pictures are from Meg's site!

Comments

Popular Posts