Bootylicious

Now that the weather is cooling down, I think it is high time to get back to exercising and eating better. I am on a mission to lose this poundage this year and start a "lifestyle change" in these them parts. For some reason, whenever I talk to someone about being more conscious of what is going into my body and how I am using it, I cannot get this out of my head...back to those high school days!

The point is that I want to be less jelly and more bootylicious - I think that is what I want at least! I have a friend (wave - you know who you are!) that will be doing this with me and we have both decided that we are to support each other rather than lecture about why we didn't work out or if we decided to have french fries with lunch.

The two main components to losing weight at a healthy and sustainable rate is to limit portion size and work out. I think the American population has gotten so used to large portion sizes that our forefathers ate but they had their butts outside working the fields and actually burning all those calories. Whereas today, people like me, sit in traffic for an hour going to work, sitting at a desk for 8-10 hours, and then sitting in a car for another 1-1.5 hours. The only thing getting worked out is my cushion that I sit on! I really try to make dinners that are not horrible for me and include vegetables, lean protein, and healthy grains but it can't just be the food. I have to make sure I don't eat large portions and follow it up with a bowl of ice cream.

B and I also love to go on walks when we get home and we definitely do not have an excuse now that we will not melt under the sun's rays. On days where the weather is a little too real, I will use my elliptical in my basement to work-it. I want to work out a minimum of 5 days a week and I will not feel bad about myself if some weeks that just does not happen and other weeks I might do all 7 days. The point of doing this is to get into a routine and allowing myself to take the time to do so. I find working out quite relaxing because I can just schluff off all the craziness of work, traffic, stresses, and just focus on my breathing and that I only have 10 more minutes of sweaty torture.

B actually had a conversation with me about a year ago that he wants me to be healthy and more aware of my family history with heart disease and diabetes. That conversation really struck me and I did this exact routine and ended up losing about 20 pounds. But I did let the Holidays and excuses take over and I just stopped and ended up backtracking some of that progress. Granted, that is very disappointing and I feel horrible about it but I am taking it as a lesson that I need to be more disciplined. That is a huge reason I asked a friend to join me so I feel that we can keep each other accountable without being jerks to each other about it.

Today is the first day of my "lifestyle change" and I am fully embracing it. I am excited for my future accomplishments and I think this time it will actually stick!

Comments

Popular Posts